FSSAI [Food License]
Fastest registration turnaround time in India with Guaranteed document upload to the government portal under 24 hrs or get a full refund T&C*
Fully online, safe & secure registration process
Get Call Back
Our Expert Will Call You Back
Our Expert Will Call You Back
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India which is an organization that monitors and governs the food business in India. It is an autonomous body that is established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
The FSSAI has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act) which is a consolidating statute related to food safety and regulation in India. It ensures the food products undergo quality checks thereby curtailing the food adulteration and sale of sub-standard products. It is responsible for the registering and licensing of the Food Business Operators (FBO) in India, and it lays down the rules and regulations for running the food business in India.
The following food businesses are required to obtain an FSSAI license in India:
- Food manufacturers and processors
- Food storage and transporters
- Wholesalers and distributors of food products
- Retailers of food products, including grocery stores, supermarkets, and online marketplaces
- Food catering services and food vending services
- Restaurants, cafes, and other food service establishments
- Food importers and exporters
- E-commerce platforms selling food products
Types Of Licenses
FSSAI Basic Registration – FBOs having a turnover of less than Rs.12 lakh p.a must obtain FSSAI basic registration. The FSSAI registration form that the applicant has to fill to obtain FSSAI basic registration is Form A.
FSSAI State License – FBOs having a turnover of more than Rs.12 lakh p.a and less than Rs.20 crore p.a must obtain the FSSAI state license. The FSSAI registration form that the applicant has to fill to obtain an FSSAI state license is Form B.
FSSAI Central License – FBOs having a turnover of more than Rs.20 crore p.a must obtain the FSSAI central license. The FSSAI registration form that the applicant has to fill to obtain FSSAI central license is Form- B.
The type of license required depends on the size and nature of the food business. The FSSAI registration is the most basic license and is suitable for small-scale food businesses, while the state and central licenses are required for larger businesses.
Benefits of FSSAI license registration
Apart from the fact that FSSAI registration is mandatory for your food business, getting it also comes with some benefits:
- It creates trust and credibility among your customers.
- The FSSAI logo is widely recognized and hence it can ensure goodwill among consumers.
- Hygiene and cleanliness are regulated and followed when FSSAI registration is involved.
- You can create better work policies or improve them through studies that you get access to new knowledge about the industry is shared with you which will help you to improve your safety standards and aid you in reaching the standards of international organizations.
- An FSSAI license is important for importing and exporting food products.
- FSSAI is mandatory when you sell food products online.
- FSSAI is also responsible for setting guidelines and procedures for quality assurance of the accredited labs as per ISO17025.
Steps for FSSAI Registration
Step 1: Food business operators need to register them with the Registration Authority by submitting registering fee of Rs. 100/- for one year
Step 2: Food service operators after registering are required to fill in the application form ‘Form A’ with fee of Rs. 100/-
Step 3: After form submission, applicant shall receive a 14 digit Unique Application Reference Number
Step 4: Within 7 days of form submission, Registering Authority (RA) shall issue the registration certificate or reject the application, depending on their verification and observation.
Step 5: Food business operator may start the business once he/she receives approval certificate from the Registering Authority
Step 6: If required, RA may issue notice for inspection and the order shall be given within 7 days.
Step 7: Inspection will be done in 30 days and post that Food Business Operator can start the business.
Information required to be submitted in the registration form.
Penalty for Non- Compliance
Non-compliance with FSSAI regulations can result in penalties and legal action by the authorities. Here are some of the penalties for FSSAI non-compliance:
- Penalty for selling unsafe or substandard food is up to ₹5 lakhs
- Penalty for misleading advertising is up to ₹10 lakhs
- Penalty for obstructing or failing to cooperate with FSSAI officials is up to ₹2 lakhs
- Penalty for violating FSSAI regulations is up to₹2 lakhs
- Penalty for carrying out food business without FSSAI registration or license is up to ₹5 lakhs
- Penalty for manufacturing or selling misbranded food is up to ₹3 lakhs
- Penalty for manufacturing or selling food containing extraneous matter is up to ₹1 lakh
- Penalty for causing injury or death due to the consumption of unsafe food: Imprisonment of up to 6 years and a fine of up to ₹5 lakhs
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
- Duly filled and signed application form
- Passport-sized photographs
- Identity proof of Applicant (Food Business Operator)
- Proof of property ownership
- Address Proof – Business Address Proof- Rent Agreement
- Food safety management system plan
- List of food items to be used
- Certificate of incorporation
How we can help?
- Determine the type of license required: We can advise on the type of FSSAI license required based on the size and nature of the food business. They can help the business owner to determine whether they need a Basic FSSAI Registration, State FSSAI License, or Central FSSAI License.
- Prepare and verify documents: We can assist in preparing the necessary documents required for obtaining the FSSAI license, such as the application form, ID proof, address proof, and other necessary documents. They can also verify the accuracy and completeness of the documents before submitting them to the FSSAI.
- Liaison with FSSAI: We can liaise with the FSSAI on behalf of the food business, ensuring that all the necessary formalities are completed and any queries or issues raised by the FSSAI are addressed promptly.
- Compliance with legal requirements: We can advise on the various legal requirements that need to be complied with, such as obtaining the necessary licenses and registrations, paying the requisite fees, and complying with food safety and labeling regulations.
- Post-license compliance: We can provide guidance on the various compliance requirements that need to be fulfilled post-license, such as maintaining records, conducting regular food safety audits, and adhering to labeling and packaging requirements.